Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

99 Subaru Legacy Outback: job of timing belt, R&R water pump..shifting

99 Subaru Legacy Outback, easy driver, 80K miles, valve cover gasket appears to be leaking, local shop trying to sell a $1.5K R&R job of timing belt, R&R water pump, valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket. Car drives OK, slow elderly woman driver, low speed local trips, shifting a bit slow. 90K service covers much of this. Thoughts, opinion, wait to go to local dealer (Nashville, Tn). Just looking for an opinion.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 3 years ago.

Kevin C :

Welcome to Just Answers, I'm Kevin and I'm here to help resolve your Automotive issue Please click the ACCEPT button when satisfied with your an

Kevin C :

Hello

Kevin C :

I'm Kevin, how are you?

Customer :

Hi Kevin , OK.

Kevin C :

I read your question..

Kevin C :

Is this quote from an independant garage?

Kevin C :

ok.. I see it is

Customer :

Yep, local guy. He put it up on a hoist and I see there is some weeping from Valve cover gaskets, and the timing belt cover is oily, but it does have 80K miles.

Customer :

do the subaru engines have apropensity to soak timing belts?

Kevin C :

I see, the leak at the timing belt cover area is usually the front main seal and also the cam seals leak..all which require special tools to replace

Kevin C :

Also, this is a 2.5 dual pverhead cam motor in your car...

Kevin C :

overhead

Kevin C :

when they get old, they can form head gasket leaks... that should be checked before you have the timing belt done since you have to take the timing belt off to do the head gaskets..you would be paying twice basically if you do the timing belt and then down the road find out you need head gaskets

Kevin C :

the 90K svc usually does not include oil leak or timing belt replacement

Customer :

Its my mom-in-law's car, real easy driver, I'm planning on taking to local Subaru dealer for 90K service, just wondering if I should get it done now ASAP or wait for the 90. Since it needs special tools, I'd rather a Suby-familiar technicXXXXX XXXXXdle it...Thanks

Kevin C :

you are right..wait for the Subaru Dealer.. here is how I suggest handling it..when you take it in to the dealer..initially ask them to check the car for oil leaks, head gasket leaks internally and externally, and a general inspection of the whole car and have them list everything out with the cost, including the 90K maintenance... get a complete picture of the cost to get the car back to perfect condition, at least then you can base your decision with the complete knowledge of total costs involved.

Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience: 34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.