Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

2008 subaru legacy gt: The check engine light came on..cruise control

I have a 2008 subaru legacy gt. The check engine light came on. The cruise control stopped working and the cruise control light, and the "I" set light is blinking.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Greetings Customer and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
How is the car performance? Does it seem normal other then the lights?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when ideling maybe a little rougher than usual . Other than that no , no difference.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, the check engine light can come on for about 500 different reasons. If the idle seems off, then you may have a slight misfire that is being detected.
The cruise light is flashing because the cruise is disabled automatically when the check engine light pops on.
Now it could be on because of something as simple as a loose fuel cap or as big as the engine misfire.
If you have an Autozone nearby, they will check the codes for free. If you could get them and post them here I could give you better detail as to what is likely happening with the car.
At the moment however, the cruise and I are on because of the check engine light being on.
How this helps!
Please reply if needed!
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will contact a Auto Parts place and try to obtain the codes. Can I get back to you then? To do this do i "accept answer" or wait to get the codes and then push accept answer?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
You can post the codes here, and accept when you like. I will respond either way!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey back, the code is P0171
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, this is an engine performance code. It means there is a lean fuel mixture. In layman's terms it means there is to much air mixing with the gas.
This can be caused by a few things, such as an intake air leak, an exhaust leak, or low fuel pressure. I have also seen it caused by a bad O2 sensor or mass air flow sensor.
I hate to say it, but it is best diagnosed with a scan tool. There is no real one part or quick fix for it.
It should be covered under the 3yr/36k warranty however if you are under the limit.
Otherwise, you can check for vacuum leaks. With the car idling, spray some carb cleaner along the intake manifold and vacuum lines. If the idle smooths out or speeds up, then you have a vacuum leak.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has 39,000 miles, so over the limit,but i have a subaru extended warrenty. Any idea if something like this covered. Anyways thanks for your help.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, this should be covered under your extended warranty.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience: Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.