Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

My Cruise Control light and Engine Light Flash and I..unhook..contol

My Cruise Control light and Engine Light Flash and I can't use cruie control. If i unhook battery and hook it back up, the flashing lights are off and the cruise contol will work until I shut off the cruise contol then the engine and cruise contol lights will again flash as before. Is this a problem I can fix myself?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Kevin C. replied 3 years ago.

Kevin C :

Welcome to Just Answers, I'm Kevin and I'm here to help resolve your Automotive issue

Kevin C :

hello

Customer:

Hello, Kevin.

Kevin C :

Hi, how are you?

Customer:

Fine, thank you. Getting cold here. Ha!

Kevin C :

Does the "Check Engine" light flash or on constant? The cruise light is flashing i bet

Kevin C :

Cold here as well (Chicago area)

Customer:

Wow. I just wrote engine light is flashing but erased it because now i'm confused whether it's constantly on or flashing. Yes, the cruise light is flashing. I'm here in the Western mountains of Maine.

Kevin C :

Okay, there is a difference if the Check Engine" light is on solid or flashing

Customer:

I think it's constant, but when I unhooked the battery it went off and the fcruise contol could be set and worked perfectly until i shut the cruise control off, then 5 secondds later the lights came back on.

Kevin C :

however either way the lights indicate a problem with your vehicles engine management systems

Customer:

I can just go and turn on the car. One second, Kevin.

Kevin C :

when you disconnect the battery you clear the memory but if the problem still exists, it turns the lights back on

Kevin C :

ok

Customer:

Engine light is on solid.

Kevin C :

ok, do you work on the car yourself? the reason I ask is if you don't , you need to have an authorized repair shop check it out.. the light is indicating a problem

Kevin C :

If you do, the first thing you need to do is find out what code the vehicle is indicating (check engine light is indicating a problem that is communicated by a code)

Kevin C :

you need a code reader to find the code

Customer:

No, Kevin, i don't. I have a friend who is the one who unhooked the battery and told me the same thing, that what it did was reset. This happened once a couple years ago and I took it to ther dealer and it took them 5 minutes to fix. I thing she told me it was a diode or something. I was just wondering if my friend could do something.

Customer:

Kevin, I saw one of those code readers for about $89 dollars. Would those tell you what the problem is ?

Kevin C :

Check your gas cap, if it isn't tight that can cause the light to come on, and is the most common problem

Kevin C :

Code reader would be able to retrieve the codes yes and some can clear them(like disconnecting the battery)

Kevin C :

I can wait if you want to check the cap

Customer:

Thank you very much, Kevin. The cap doesn't really tighten, it just keeps clicking at the same tightness .

Kevin C :

that's ok though, you twist it till it clicks, once you click it 3 times that should be it..self tightening, but sometimes it's easy to forget to turn it till it clicks thus causing the light to come on

Kevin C :

was it loose?

Customer:

No, and the engine light is still on constantly.

Kevin C :

if the cap was tight, then you may have another problem, even if the cap was loose you would still have to clear the memory to turn out the light by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes

Customer:

Well, thanks for your help, Kevin. I'll make an appointment. Tell me off the top of your head, how long is the warranty? Last time I didn't have to pay a penny.

Kevin C :

Basic is 3year 36000 miles, but if it's a catalytic converter code (P0420) which is also common, that would be covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles

Customer:

So actually, there's nothing anyone can do until i get a reader connected to it?

Kevin C :

other components only 3/36K

Kevin C :

yes or take it to the dealer... that's your best bet

Customer:

Well, I have less than 36k but 5 years old.

Kevin C :

I see..you have an extended warranty? SAS?

Kevin C :

you do still have a powertrain warranty but that usually doesn't cover emission parts just major engine and trans 5 year 60,000

Customer:

I don't believe it. It was my mother's but I had it put in my name because her insurance was over $100 a month. KK, Kevin, I'll accept so you get paid. Your time is worth more than the price. Thank you, Kevin.

Kevin C :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck

Customer:

Do you have any idea what this might cost/

Kevin C :

depends on the failure can be anywhere from 200 to 600... if it's a catalytic converter, should be free

Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience: 34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.