Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.

2000 Subaru Outback: dash lights..tail lights went..bulbs..brakes

Customer Question

i have a 2000 Subaru Outback, and the dash lights and rear tail lights went out after a fuse popped a few days ago. Replaced the bulbs and cleaned everything ran for a day...then popped again. They light up when the brakes are hit, but go away after i let off. I figure the Illumination control is to blame.<br /><br />If you think it is too, do you have a wiring diagram or location of the problem.  :]
Category: Subaru
Expert:  al-mod replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'm a Moderator on the Just Answer website and will try to help you get an answer as you have been waiting for awhile. I do not answer questions, rather I work with Customers and Experts to try to help questions get answered. The response rate on Just Answer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions may go un-answered. Some of the common reasons found on some questions are:

1. The question is unclear.

2. The question price you selected is low for the complexity of the question.

3. The question seems to request an answer for something that cannot be explained online.

4. And sometimes, there just may not be an Expert available who feels they have the proper experience to reply.

This isn't an all-inclusive list as to why questions may go unanswered but they are some common reasons.

I have re-listed the question and alerted Experts that you are needing a response. Should you not receive an answer and you made a deposit, the deposit is fully refundable by visiting the Just Answer help pages or by replying back on this thread.

Thanks for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much. This problem has been bothering me for a while, and i cannot drive at night time. :[

If they do not understand the question, they can ask away. i watch this page every day. :]
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
To update, the fuse name underneath the hood, is labeled

"Lighting SW"

and it's a 20 amp fuse

If this helps :]
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Fixed the problem. Turned out someone took it to the subaru dealership before i got the car and was having a problem with the dash lights going out. they put in a Funky huge fuse in the illumination port(number 12) under the dash. Some wires for the heated seats got caught in the e brake(which is part of number 12). So when i would let the e brake down, it would ground out and would blow the main fuse, because the other fuse was huge and held a Higher amperage. YAY! :D I'll pay myself 15 dollars for that one ;]