Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

p0028 and p0026 codes for intake valve control solenoid both

p0028 and p0026 codes for intake valve control solenoid both coming up. Did some research, I was low on engine oil (a little over 2 quarts). CEL has since gone off. Could low oil level caused this?

2006 Impreza 2.5i auto 216,000 miles
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Carguy1 :

HI there! Oil level did cause this.These operate off oil pressure, when the pressure is low they can't work. 99% of the time if you get both together it is a low oil issue.,

Customer :

I dont leak oil (i park in the same spot) and the last oil change was the first time I put a full synthetic into the vehicle (have been using partial synthetic). The check engine went off on its own, if it were to come back on, when would this happen (55mph+?). should i have any issues now driving the vehicle? i travel a lot for work as i have 216K on the clock.

Carguy1 :

It will come on when the timing needs to be advanced. Such as climbing a hill or right at take off, passing another car. You need to keep an eye on the oil level, it might be using some. 2 quarts is half of the oil capacity. You can continue to drive the car,especially when the light is out.It goes out on it's own because the oil pressure returns to normal. Also, full synthetic is fine,but I would still check the oil level between changes

Customer :

ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a little overdue for the timing belt change, do you recommend simply changing the belt or do you suggest replacing with a kit (tensioner, water pump, pulleys ect.) as I have already ata100k had just the belt changed

Carguy1 :

I would go with the kit, with the mileage you have it would be worth the extra to keep it going! :)

Customer :

ok thanks a lot, appreciate you answers, going into shop tomorrow and this helps me tremendously so I wont be taken advantage of, thanks again...

Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience: Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.