Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

Where is the clutch fluid resevoir on a 1996 subaru legacy?

where is the clutch fluid resevoir on a 1996 subaru legacy?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
It is located on the firewall next to the brake master cylinder and booster. Small round white reservoir.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You did not answer the question correctly. I just checked all the lines and apparently the master cylinder is doubling as the clutch fluid resevoir (unless you could explain to me my the fluid lines are both going to it)
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Actually you are right, the 96 uses a cable and not a hydraulic clutch. There is no reservoir.

Look for the clutch fork coming out of the bell housing on the driver side and you will see the cable.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok I have found that so what do I do because when I press on the clutch I have to put in all the way on the floor just for it to engage to change gears
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Ok, it is likely that the clutch is worn out. However you can try to adjust it by loosening the lock nut at the end of the cable, then tighten the nut to take up some of the free play and shorten the cable. I have highlighted the adjuster nut in this diagram. Turn it clockwise.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok well I will try to do that and if that does not work then I will take it to a mechanic and have them fix it for me. Thank you for your help
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
You are quite welcome and I appologize for the confusion. Wasn't thinking about the 96.