Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

1998 forester: gear shift will not come out of park..clicking..shifter

the gear shift will not come out of park. i can here the solonoid clicking under the dash when i push the button on the shifter. 1998 forester i allso depresed the brake

Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

Since you don't have the small piece of plastic to remove, you have to take the trim cover off from around the shifter and try to manually over ride the shifter. If this still doesn't work, you may have a broken piece on the shifter itself.Here is a diagram of the piece that normally breaks and needs to be replaced. Hope it helps!

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i have an appt. this morning. i will get back to you this afternoon. thank you.

Sounds good to me! Thank you for the accept and I really do appreciate the follow up!