Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

Hi I have a 2005 Subaru outback.The back hatch lock will not

Hi I have a 2005 Subaru outback.The back hatch lock will not work with the 2 fobs that were I got with the car.The lock will not lock or unlock.Could you tell me what could be the problem and how to check it out.
Thank you Dan.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

You will want to check for power to the actuator when the button is pressed. Or you can check the actuator by running power and ground to it from the battery, (hint, you can also use a 9 volt battery just to see if it will activate) being that it is so far from the battery. Here is what the data base has for testing it.

Trunk Lid Lock Assembly

INSPECTION

1. Disconnect the trunk lid actuator harness connector.

graphic

1. Connect the battery to trunk lid actuator terminals. If defective, replace the trunk lid actuator.
  2. Check the striker for deformation or abnormal wear.
  3. Check the safety lever for improper movement.
  4. Check other levers and the spring for rust formation and unsmooth movement.
  5. Check the cable of trunk opener for smooth operation.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do I put the live wire to teminal 2 and ground to 1or is 1 open and 2 locked.Can I just ground the whole lock?Also I couldn,t find a fuse for the lock,do you know if there is one?Is the lock and actuator one piece,it loks like it is?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Super M ,Are you still there?
Sorry, had to sleep a little last night, (lol)

From the test it looks like the #2 wire when powered, while the #1 is grounded would be "lock". Then you switch them around for "unlock".

The actuator is part of the lock. The fuse would be the keyless entry fuse, #10 in the fuse box. Thanks.

graphic

Edited by Super mechanic on 5/26/2010 at 12:46 PM EST