Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

How do you set the timing for a 96 subaru impreza with the pistons

Customer Question

how do you set the timing for a 96 subaru impreza with the pistons
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

Are you looking for the timing belt marks?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, What has happened is that the vehicle has went under water - We have flushed and changed all fluids . The car will turn over but will not fire. A new coil has been installed along with plugs and wires fluid etc.... What we are trying to do is set timing by the pistons.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

Ok,I am going to open the question back up because I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Please don't reply or they won't be able to respond.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi What I guess we are trying to ask is about the #1 spark plug needs to be set. The vehicle has went under water all the fluids oil, tranny, power steering etc etc have been replaced. The car has had all old fluid flushed out and new fluids put in. A new battery, and a new spark plug coil, plugs and wires also - The car will turn over but will not start. All the electrical components work, no water in oil or other fluids. But car will still not start.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Ok, are you getting any spark? Maybe take some carb cleaner and spray it into the throttle body and see if the car will fire for a couple of seconds. Also, is this a 2.2L engine and how long has it been sitting?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It has sat for about 30 days - It was towed to a truck stop ( why there I have no idea - not my choice.) But they basically said it was under water for about 30 min that they work with trucks not cars - my nephew on the other hand is not a certified machanic but is very knowledgable. the car is now after replacing coil getting spark. this is a 2.2l
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no spark from coil to spark plug.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Ok, no spark. I think you need to pull the timing cover from one side and make sure the timing belt is rotating the cams. If the driver side cam is not moving then it won't send signal and you won't get any spark. Check this out and let me know. I would also like to know if the check engine light comes on when you turn the key on.Let me know!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes the check engine light is on. And the belt is rotating the cams.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Ok, was the inside of the car under water as well? I mean how deep was the water?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
A water main broke the water was about 2 feet deep - The whole car up to about 6 inches from dash was flooded. The ignition was immediatly turned off the min. it hit the water. Unfortunatly It sat for about 30 days ( but we do live in FL so it does get hot and most of the water dried out immediatly with in days.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I think I would first,get a code reader and see if there are any codes for the cam or crank sensor.If not, then I might try replacing the igniter for the coil. This is on the there wall behind the engine. This is where I would start I think.