Alan
Alan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17+ years shop experience, Japanese and Domestic WA State emissions certified
15651822

How do you change the spark plugs on a 1999 subaru outback. They

How do you change the spark plugs on a 1999 subaru outback.
They seem to be totally non accessible especially the drivers side rear
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Alan replied 7 years ago.
Hello JACustomer-hf6qp3p, Thanks for your question. These are challenging plugs to replace, but it can be done without lowering or raising the engine. First you need to remove the plug wires if you have not already done so. They can stick, but can usually be removed without damage by twisting and pulling at the same time.

The best access to the plugs is from below, but without the vehicle up on a hoist it is difficult. With the air ducting to the air filter removed, and the washer bottle removed you should be able to replace them from above, although I have only done them from below because I have access to a hoist.

Start by inserting your spark plug socket in the plug tube by itself, then follow it with a three inch ratchet extension. This should allow you to get your ratchet on and break the plug loose. At this point you can back the plug out with the ratchet, or take the ratchet off and turn the extension with your fingers. Once the plug is completely unscrewed pull the extension back far enough that you can remove it from your plug socket, and then remove the socket and plug. Reverse procedure to re-install. The key is to put the socket and extension in individually and remove them individually.

I hope this helps you. If I have answered your question please accept. If you have more questions just reply. Thanks for using JustAnswer.