Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Tech, 32 Years, Foreign.Domestic, Diagnostic Specialist
13677702

93 subaru loyale 1.8 ea82 replaced timing belts, i aligned

Customer Question

93 subaru loyale 1.8 ea82 replaced timing belts, i aligned both on timing marks as stated in repair manual, and then made sure that rotor was at number #1 @ tdc. It took serverval turns to get it stared and runs poorly, sound way out of time.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I took an excert from the manual. A step that most miss is the fact you are to turn the crank 1 full turn (360deg) around AFTER you put the first belt on THEN install the second belt. You can not install both with flywheel lined up and both cams lined up. You MUST turn the engine that 1 full turn. You may have done this and iff so, you may want to go back, start over and triple check again. It clearly sound like one or both belts are out of time. Read the bold print below

(h) Tighten bolt (D) and bolt (C) in that order, to the specified torque.
Tightening torque:

17.2 - 20.1 N-m (1.75 -2.05 kg-m, 12.7 - 14.8 ft-lb).

(i) Ascertain that flywheel timing mark and camshaft sprocket LH timing mark are in their normal positions.
(j) Turn crankshaft one turn clockwise from the position where timing belt No. 2 was installed, and align the center of three lines scribed on the flywheel with timing mark on flywheel housing.

Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified Tech, 32 Years, Foreign.Domestic, Diagnostic Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your right I just have to start over again.

Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
It is a step that most people miss as well as some techs . That 1 complete turn of the engine AFTER the first belt is on, is critical. Sure that will fix it. Thanks