Bratman
Bratman, ASE Master and L1 Advanced level
Experience:  15+ years as a Tech in All makes shops. Know Euro, Asian, Domestic...
13710235

05 Subaru Legacy. I hear a clicking noise when I make a left

Customer Question

05 Subaru Legacy. I hear a clicking noise when I make a left turn with power.Going around the corner without power there is no noise. Checked everything ,wheel bearing seems good, no play, axle has no play , when I jack it up and turn the wheel back and forth I hear no strange noise, , I'm afraid it's a cv joint. What do you think . The clicking is getting louder all the time. Thank You
Joe W
Odessa Wa.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Bratman replied 6 years ago.
Hello, Jason here to help. The CV Joint is the most likely fault. The outer joint will be the noisemaker. The Cage the 6 balls are contained in gets worn, and the cage pops the balls making the noise. The axles are easily installed and dont cost too much for new ones. You can get rebuilt ones, but new ones aren't much more. The local Napa or Shucks or Autozone will have or can get them for around 80-90$. I replace around 3 pair a week.
A local shop in Washington should charge around 1.5 to 2.25 hours to replace them.
I hope this helps.
Jason in Walla Walla...