J.Holdaway
J.Holdaway, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. w/L1 10 years experience

2003 Outback: Eddie Bauer..A/c - I hear the hissing..quick fix?

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Outback 6-3.0 Eddie Bauer. When I turn on the A/c - I hear the hissing - like it will work - but the air is not cold. Any quick fix?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  J.Holdaway replied 4 years ago.
Does the temperature control work? i.e. if you change it from cold to hot can you feel a drastic change in the temperature through the vents?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Let me check - back in a minute.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

With the "A/C" button off - it goes from "room temp" to hot fine.

With the "A/C" button pressed in - it blows really hard at 65, then blows less at 85, but it's all "room temp" - no cold.

Ok, sounds like the internal controls are switching ok, next is the compressor engaging? If you want to check, pop the hood, start engine and have someone or yourself press the a/c button. The clutch on the front of the compressor should make a loud click, and start turning the same rate as the engine and rest of the accessories.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes - it clicks, then rattles along with everything else.
Then, my next step would be to try and pull any codes out of the HVAC system, if it has any. This is kind of an in depth job, but can be done without a scan tool, you up for it? If so I can try to copy and paste the flow chart from Subaru on how to retrieve the codes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oh sure - just know I was proud of myself for finding the fuse box....

Fire away.

So far your doing great! Here are the flow charts in 3 pages, they really start of the second page, just do as they say and answer accordingly yes/no the precede to the next step.

graphic

here's the second:

graphic

and the last: when you get the code I will supply you with what the code is, if all you can retrieve is a "20" then that means there are no faults, and I would look back at the HVAC doors, it's not uncommon for a mouse to build a nest in these ducts and block the doors from fully operating.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just sent a response to stesps 1-5, need pages for 6+ and with solid "2" with flashing "5" means?
Steps 6 & 7 were sent to you, it was the last page I sent, code 25 is that the sun load sensor test failed, but if you are not in direct sunlight, or the sensor i should say isn't in direct sunlight, that is normal.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok - will do last steps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is the final suggestion to check the HVAC doors for a dead mouse? Can you tell me how to find the HVAC doors or is that a new question?

- Thanks

I have a few final suggestions, and no it wouldn't be another question. First if the cabin air filter hasn't been changed check it, it would be the most likely place to find a mouse nest. Second, if the freon is low but not fully discharged, it could give the symptom you have, but without a set of gauges you can't tell, let an a/c shop check this last if all else fails. Last I have included a pic of the heater/evap box, it is located underneath the passenger side of the dash. Watch the arm on the side as you give the a/c unit different commands for temp. and position, and make sure it seems to have a full range of motion, you will be able to tell if not, also you will see the duct work attached. Be aware though it is very tight quarters. Thanks again, let me know if I can help any futher!

graphic