George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15 + Years

2004 Subaru Forester: The check engine light came

The check engine light came on in my 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5x. The code returned was P0032. I found a mechanic that will install a new sensor since it is an under the vehicle job, but I am uncertain about what sensor to get. There seems to be a wide range of prices.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Hello I iwll help you with your question,

It seems the heater on your forward air/fuel ratio sensor has failed or the wiring to the heater is shorted to battery voltage. It is likely that the fault is in the sensor so you will want to get a replacement from Subaru for part number 22641AA211

The sensor is located at the front of the catalytic converter as shown in the diagram below

I will post the diagram in the next post

Let me know what questions you may have about this

Thank you

Edited by George H on 2/24/2010 at 10:13 PM EST
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Sorry I grabbed the wrong diagram, here is the correct one.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will the Denso Air/fuel Sensor(NNN) NNN-NNNNbe an acceptable substitution? Additional info:
Subaru is not a turbo and is automatic transmission.
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

The first diagram I posted (since deleted was for the Forrester XT and that is why I had to post the correct diagram in the next post. Sorry if there was any confusion but that is the correct diagram for your vehicle.

The auto and manual uses the same exhaust so the diagram still applies to your vehicle.

Yes the Denso sensor will work fine for your vehicle, remember no grease on the connector!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks. A middle of the road approach.
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Glad to help and thank you for using JA!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
FYI It turns out that not all 2004 Subaru vehicles have 2004 parts. My 2004 Forester, manufactured 2/04, has a 2003 Subaru sensor (Subaru 22641aa280 /Denso(NNN) NNN-NNNN) The Subaru dealer was able to give me the part number using my vehicle's VIN and Denso was able to give me the appropriate Denso part number. Michelle at Denso has been with them for 25 years and was especially helpful.