ase_master327, Subaru Technician
Experience:  +15 years experience with Subaru vehicles. Bumper to bumper diagnostics and repair.

when I step on the gas pedal the engine has a reving whine

Customer Question

when I step on the gas pedal the engine has a reving whine sound, I have a 2002 subaru forester, what could this be caused from
Category: Subaru
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 6 years ago.
Well.. You could have a vacuum leak or you could even have a problem with one of the accessories that run off the belt... or even the belt.
What you can do is run the engine with the hood open and listening to it. If you need to listen to certain places on the engine and don't have a stethoscope, you can use a 2-3 foot piece of hose the same way to pinpoint the origin of the sound.

Another thing is if it idles higher than it should when you crank it up, then the idle system is having problems, and could most likely just use a cleaning..

Hope it helps. If you need anything else, let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

someone did say that they thought they had seen antfreeze on the ground where my car had been parked...does this july I did have a head gasket problem antifreeze was leaking into my engine I had the whole engine taken apart and cleaned with all the hoses filters and fuses cleaned and replaced

ok, yes that does help.. Whatever that leak is, is more than likely causing your problem..
How long has it been since the timing belt and water pump were changed on this engine?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The timing belt belt and water pump were changed in July 09, it had a complete checkup and cleaning because of the head gasket problem. It doesn't have a reving sound it has a whiring sound when you accelerate but sometimes its not there ...I live in ND and t has been exceptionally cold lately at least 30 below zero...could the cold have caused this problem with a vacumn leak ? I know the car is not idling high or reving.