2007 Forester - P0026 and P0028 (OSV Solenoid Valve malfunction

Customer Question

2007 Forester - P0026 and P0028 (OSV Solenoid Valve malfunction L & R)
Hello Sube expert. I have a 2007 Forester and the "check engine" light with flashing "cruise" light has been on for the last few days - today the vehicle would not accelerate (bucked like crazy). Dealership said the codes returned were P0026 and P0028 (OSV Solenoid Valve malfunction L & R). The "only" solution is apparently to spent a large amount of money to replace both. I have some experience with mechanical systems and need some convincing here.
I pressed the dealer a bit on what could cause these 2 separate but related components to fail simultaneously and needless to say am not satisfied. Can you shed some light on this?
A bit of background: 83855 Kilometers (52000 miles) currently on the Forester,
had the catalytic converter replaced at 58000 km (35000 miles) which I thought was bizarre,
all service schedules have been followed.
If you are familiar with this problem please respond. Thanks in advance.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX have both go out at the same time is suspicous, I suspect a problem in the eelectrical circuit, the wiring between the ecm and the solenoid switches, these wires need to be ohmed out for continuity, It is not impossible for bi=oth to go out at the same time, but it is unlikely. But with this problem occurring for a while, it can plugup the cat converters on these, Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Tim, can you flesh this out a bit?
Just a couple questions.
What is the function of the OSV (I was told by subaru that it involved oil feed to the cam shafts!?)
Where are these located on the motor?
Can I easily access the ECM end of the wire in order to check continuity?
Am I looking for zero resistance in this wire?
Thanks in advance.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
the osv system is for the variable cam lift, it opens the valve or closes it more to acheive the desired lift, it usese oil pressure to do this, there is 2 solenoids , one on ech bank, i will post a diagram of them below,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Tim, I'll accept -
On this diagram I assume this is just one of the solenoids location on the one bank?
What are the two items (4&5) indicated on the diagram?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
yes, this is just one side, the 4 is the solenoid, the 5 is the oil switch,Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX question Tim...
can these be removed, inspected and cleaned? Are they easy to replace?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
they are not difficult to replace, but cleaning them will probably not help, but it is worth a try. i suspect it is in the wiring to the solenoids,Tim