Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Tech, 32 Years, Foreign.Domestic, Diagnostic Specialist
13677702

2000 outback: transmission fluid change..subaru..AWD...fluid level

transmission fluid change for subaru 2000 outback AWD. fluid won't go in. Put some Lucas in and the fluid level was really high. Now fluid emptied but cannot get any back in HELP
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Hello, this is automatic or manual trans you changed fluid in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it is an automatic. 1/2 bottle bottle of Lucas was put in, the fluid was up to the top of the filler tube but the transmission did not appear to be full as if there is a possible air block. He took all fluid out and is attempting to refill it. About 3 quarts are in there now, how many quarts should it have? Also, at the beginning before adding the Lucas, the fluid seemed to be right at the top.
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Thanks. Below is detailed info. The Lucas is so thick that it can block refilling for some time till it slowly gets into the trans. Adding Lucas can make it kind of difficult and paitience is needed. It will eventually get in the trans. Once you can get at least 2 qts in, you can start engine, work through gears and let it warm up a little till the Lucas thins out. the trans hold about 9 qts BUT... this includes the converter which hold a lot and you can not drain it. so.... we start adding fluid slowly say about 2-3 qts then start engine, let warm up and recheck from there. I am thinking about 4 qts on drain and fill. You do have to count the Lucas as well

REPLACEMENT

1.AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID

1. Drain ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) by removing drain plug after allowing the engine to cool for 3 to 4 hours .

CAUTION: Before starting work, cool off the engine well.

1. Reinstall drain plug after draining ATF, and tighten it to the specified torque. Tightening torque: 24.5 ±2.0 Nm (2.5 ±0.2 kg.m, 18.1 ±1.4 ft.lb)
  2. Fill ATF up to the middle of the "COLD" side on level gauge by using the gauge hole.

Recommended fluid:
Dexron II, IIE or III type automatic transmission fluid

Fluid capacity:
9.3(+0.3/-0) l (9.8(+0.3/-0) US qt, 8.2(+0.3/-0) Imp qt)

1. Run the vehicle until the ATF temperature rises to 60 to 80°C (140 to 176°F) and check the ATF level.

2.ATF FILTER

NOTE:
ATF filter is maintenance free part. ATF filter needs replacement, when it has physically damaged or ATF leaked.

For the replacement procedures of the ATF filter, refer to "AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AND DIFFERENTIAL".

Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified Tech, 32 Years, Foreign.Domestic, Diagnostic Specialist