subie-tech
subie-tech, Subaru Technician
Experience:  I am a Subaru Factory Trained technician and have been working on Subaru's for about 7 years.
26621598

2000 subaru legacy: the automatic transmission fluid..atf..oil filter

So... I went to change the oil on my 2000 subaru legacy, but ended up draining the automatic transmission fluid instead. I also removed the atf filter and replaced it with an oil filter, which i'd filled with oil. The car drove that day, but the next morning started driving badly. I poured in new atf and it will move a little bit, but there's now about a cup of oil in the atf. In the short term I'm going to drain and fill back up. Should I get the atf flushed? Should I do something more?
Your transmission holds about 12qts of fluid. A flush would not be necessary due to the minimal amount of oil you have in there. Furthermore, the amount of pressure a transmission flush puts on a transmission valve body could damage it. I would recommend a drain and fill and install a factory, Subaru trans filter.