Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Tech, 32 Years, Foreign.Domestic, Diagnostic Specialist
13677702

I have a 1993 Subaru Impreza that wont start. I think I have

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Subaru Impreza that won't start. I think I have narrowed it down to a fuel problem I replaced the fuel filter and pump. I don't seem to be getting power to the fuel pump. Where is the fuel pump relay located? What should I do?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
Hello, do you have a testlight?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't have a test light but I do have a volt meter
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
Sorry for delay. Lost internet due to storms. do you still have access tot eh plug at the fuel pump?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I do. Should I be able to hear the pump running when the key is on if I go back to the trunk and listen. I put my ear right over the access to the pump and I can't hear it running.
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.

We need to work backwards. I need you to unplug the Fuel pump connector.

Insert the Black(NEG) probe of meter into the plug at the BLACK wire.

Insert the Red (POS) lead of meter into the connector at the BLUE/YELLOW wire. Once set. Begin cranking the engine. I need to know if you have power(12volts) when doing this

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok I checked the fuel pump connector. There is no power to it.
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.

Behind the dash and behind the kick panel on drivers side are 2 realys, See below. Most commonly the main relay fails. This will disable fuel pump as well. You can unplug the fuel pump relay and with key in RUN position, probe the connector. If you have 2 terminals with 12 volts, suspect the MAIN relay just below it.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I climed under the dash but couldn't locate anything that looked like the diagram you sent. Could you be more specific as to where its located under there.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I found it.