Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

2001 Subaru Outback: check engine light..rough idle..mileage..muffler

2001 Subaru Outback check engine light just went on, code p0304, also experiencing rough idle during warm up. Additional info - mileage 116k, hole in the b-pipe/muffler. Seems like a lot of other Subaru owners have had this problem and not found a solution?
Hi there! I would start by taking a small spray bottle and fill it with water. With the engine running spray it on the plug wires and the coil. If you see sparks arcing then you need to replace the faulty part.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No sparks. Battery also has a lot of acid build up and may need to be replaced but doubt that has anything to do with the code (now blinking) and rough idle. The rough idle has been both shaking and sputtering fuel flow.

OK, the P0304 is a misfire code. It means there is a miss and you are feeling it. I suspect it is still a coil issue as I see this alot. Pull the plug wires off the coil and inspect for burn or track marks.