Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

Drivers side power window wont roll up (1998 legacy)

Customer Question

Driver's side power window won't roll up (1998 legacy)
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
HI there! Do you hear any sound when trying to put it up?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. There is a click, like the motor is engaging. Then nothing. The click noise happens when I toggle the switch up and also when I toggle the switch down.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK, does that happen immediatly or after holding the button for a second? Does the click come from the door?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The click sounds like it comes from the door, and it sounds very much like the sound you hear when the windows are operating properly but it it's all the way up or all the way down.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK, it sounds like the window regulator has failed. If you would like we can take the door panel off to be 100% sure. But it sounds like the motor is getting the power it should, that being the case it is likely the regulator itself binding and keeping the winow from moving.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you give directions for taking the door panel off?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Yep, HERE they are.Once off let me know what you see, we should be able to get the window up at least.
well, this is a blow up of the door trim. The only screws are 2 in the arm rest and one in the handle. Remove those three screws and the door panel will pop off. Use a putty knife if you have one to get close to the clips that hold the panel on. Thanks for the accept! Let me know if you need more help!