George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15 + Years

how do i replace the front wheel bearings in a 98 subaru i

Customer Question

how do i replace the front wheel bearings in a 98 subaru impreza
Category: Subaru
Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The bearings are pressed in and out of the knuckle assembly. If you do not have access to a press or HubShark and some support fixtures it will be difficult for you to accomplish this. However you can remove the knuckle assembly and have a machine shop do the pressing for you.

Do you have a press or Hub shark?

Let me know and I will post the procedure or I can make a recommendation of a shop in your area with the equipment to do the job if you post your zipcode

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can you rent a press, if not how much do you think it would be for a machine shop do do it?

i live in Boise idaho 83709

Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.

A press is about $250 to buy and very heavy so it normally is not rented. The machine shop will charge $40 - $85 to press the bearings depending on how they are equipped as there is a specific support fixture that is needed to press the bearing straight in and out.

The labor to do both bearings is 5.7 hours so you can see this is no small job. The bearings are $80 each and you would need 2 to complete both sides. The shop rate will depend on the shop and usually runs $800 per hour in your area. Some shops are more and some are less so shop the job you are in the heart of Scooby country so there are several experienced shops in your area with the correct equipment

You can contact

Applied Automotive

4629 Fenton Street, Boise, Idaho 83714
phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>

And here is a link to their home page

Please tell them an iATN member gave you their name and they will treat you right

Let me know what else I can do to help you with this

Thank you