Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

I get a P0483 fault code..malfunction..radiator fan..heater fan

I get a P0483 fault code. It says "control fan rationality check malfunction. " Is this the radiator fan or heater fan or something else? Which direction should I start to look in.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
HI there! What is the year and model of your Subaru please?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2006 Forester
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK, the code is telling you that the engine cooling fans cannot get the car cooled down. Of course you know this based on the guage. I would start by making sure the coolant level is full. Check the radiator itself. It sounds to me like you have a low coolant issue and that is why the heat is intermitent. It may have an air pocket in the system causing this problem. If the cooling system hasn't been serviced then you likely have a leak somewhere. If it has, then it is likely an air bubble that is caught in the heater core. Hope this helps! Please reply if needed. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Does this car have a thermostat and should I consider this as well?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it sure does. It is located at the block right where the lower hose connects to the engine. I would consider it a possible problem, but they normally stay closed if they are bad. Thansk