Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

I have a 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon...the lock actuator on the

I have a 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon...the lock actuator on the hatch does not work...I replaced the entire lock assembly...still does not lock.

The other 4 doors will lock. What might be the problem?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
HI there! Does it make any noise when you try to lock it? Also, do you have a test light so we can check the circut? Let me know! Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

nothing happens when either remote is used or the toggle switch on the drivers door is pressed. the only way I can lock it is manually by moving the plastic lever on the actuator...I have not tested the circuit
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK, well that is the next place to look. This way we can determine if it is a broken wire or a faulty BIU. If you have a voltmeter or test light I can help you sort it out. Let me know
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will test the the way what is a "BIU"
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
The BIU is for the body integrated unit. On most cars it is the body control module. 05 was the first year subaru used it and I believe it controls the security. If you find no power to the actuator when you hit the key fob, it could be the BIU not sending signal or the wire broken. If the wire is broken,look first at where it comes out of the car and into the hatch.