Pietros
Pietros, Subaru Technician
Experience:  Advanced Subaru Technician,20 yrs post exp,Subaru trained forSubaru.
18473956

I have a 2001 Subaru forester... when I turn the key, nothing

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Subaru forester... when I turn the key, nothing happens (no interior lights, no click...). It seems the only things getting power are the door locks, the beep that tells me the key is in and horn. The battery is charged. And power seems to be getting to the solenoid. I checked the fuse in the engine compartment fuse box and it is ok, but I cant find a relay
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Pietros replied 5 years ago.
The relay you are trying to locate is the Main Relay , located on the wall in the passenger side footwell.You will notice there is 2 of them , one is cylindrical (fuel pump) , its the brown rectangular and with ignition on you should have battery supply voltage on all but one of the thin wires. You also have to consider that the key in switch is not connected to ignition switch, hence you can get the beep but the ignition switch is not on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had looked for the relay in behind the passenger kick plate and had not found it, I will look again. If i replace this relay might the car start?
Expert:  Pietros replied 5 years ago.
The idea is to try and find where you are losing the power supply to the ignition. The main relay is controlled by the ECM, but receives its primary contol voltage from ignition switch . This means once you locate it you can work out whether your power loss is before (that is ignition switch , ignition relay, Slow Blow Fuses<the big ones>, or after meaning ECU. Please double check the fuses .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
fuse 1 is fried, an 80A, I could never find any relays at the passenger side. But I do know that the power loss seems to be before the ignition switch. I'll just replace the fuse and see what happens from there. All that was behind the passenger side kick plate were connectors
Expert:  Pietros replied 5 years ago.
Well, there is your power loss.I was working on your initial statement that fuses and connections had been checked, however i had a strong feeling you missed the fried fuse hence i mentioned double checking fuses.Once you put one in your problems should be solved but its quite a high anp fuse to just fry, .Could you have jump started the car or something?
Pietros, Subaru Technician
Experience: Advanced Subaru Technician,20 yrs post exp,Subaru trained forSubaru.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know what happened, I haven't changed the fuse yet but I couldn't jump the car, I tried.. would that fry a fuse?
Expert:  Pietros replied 5 years ago.
Its most likely you crossed the terminals when you tried to jump start , that blows the fuse.You need to put in the fuse otherwise it wont start still. Once it starts it should be ok.