Alan
Alan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17+ years shop experience, Japanese and Domestic WA State emissions certified
15651822

No Comment Added

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Alan replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer Thanks for your question. The first thing to check on your Outback is to see if the brake lights are working when you cannot get it out of park. The brake light switch sends a signal to the shift interlock control module to tell it you have the brake on. If you have brake lights the next step is to verify the signal is getting to the control unit. The shift lock control module is located under the dash just below the steering wheel behind the lower cover-12 wire black connector. The shift lock solenoid is located at the shift lever-2 wire black connector with an orange w/blue and a black wire. All of the following checks need to be made with the brake on when the problem is occurring to be valid. Backprobe the connectors with a pin-leaving them plugged in.With the brake on check for power on the white w/ black wire going into the control module. If you have power there and it still will not come out of gear we can rule out the brake light input circuit. Next we need to verify the ground on the black wire going into the module. Next check for power on the white, white w/ blue, and black w/ yellow wires. If all of this is OK check for power on the Orange w/ Blue wire at the shift lock solenoid. Check the black wire at the solenoid for ground. If you have power and ground at the solenoid you need a shift lock solenoid. If you do not have power at the solenoid and all other checks were OK I would suspect the Shift lock control module. If any of the other checks were not OK let me know and we can trace out that part of the circuit. Hopefully I have answered your question. If I have helped you with your problem please accept. If you have more problems please respond. Thanks for using JA.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will try suggestions: brake lights, etc. and let you know. Thanks WR 4/26/09
Expert:  Alan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, let me know how it goes. Thanks