Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.

How do i replace a fuel pump on a 1993 impreza 1.

how do i replace a fuel pump on a 1993 impreza 1.8 liter
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Hi there! Is it 2wd or 4wd?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is a 4wd
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
Here are instructions. Hope it helps. It is mounted under the car and not in the tank.

See Figure 1

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Fuel pump assembly mounted under the vehicle-1.8L engine

1. Release the fuel system pressure. Do not reconnect the fuel pump harness.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Raise and support the vehicle safely on jackstands.
  4. Clamp the middle portion of the hose connecting the fuel tank pipe and the pump to prevent fuel from flowing out of the tank when unfastened.
  5. Loosen the hose clamp and disconnect the hose.
  6. Remove the three pump bracket mounting bolts and remove the pump together with the pump damper.

To install:
  1. Install the fuel pump and damper, and tighten the bolts securely.
  2. Install the hose and tighten the clamp screw to 9-13 inch lbs. (1.0-1.5 Nm).
  3. Install the pump bracket in position to the vehicle body and secure it with the bolts.

Take care to position the rubber cushion properly.

1. Connect the pump harness.
  2. Connect the negative battery cable and test the fuel pump for proper operation.
  3. Check for fuel leaks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what time frame are we looking at and do we need to drop the tank inself to remove the pump is there a diagram showing the locateion of the pump assy thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
You should not need to drop the tank. Unfortunatly that is the only diagram I have for the 93. Most of the stuff I have is newer info. Seems like it could be changed in under an hour. It looks to be located on the passenger side of the car just in front of the rear axle bracket.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my flat rate book shows the same thing but when i went to the parts store the pump they showed me was a typical in tank one was they wrong?this pump looks like a on frame one again so we are on the same track its a 1993 1.8 liter inpreza again thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
That is what I am showing for the 93. Did you happen to check under the car? If not, pull the matt up in the hatch, there should be 2 cover plates in there if it is an in the tank deal. Let me is a puzzle.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok i pulled the seat so maybe its my boo boo and yes i looked under it and thats what scared me to have to drop this tank it looks like a nightmare of a job to have to replace a fuel tank thanks so much we have three subarus and we love them all how do i keep in touch with you ?i also have a problem with a outback overheating let me know how to stay in touch with you again thanks on the inpreza the pump can come thru the trunk assem your saying thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
are you saying you found the covers and it can be pulled up and out?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no i never looked in the trunk area i pulled the seat is there a panel to pull it thru the truck area thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
OK. My info is only showing the pump on the outside for the 1.8. As for the internal pump it is showing for the 2.2,2.5 and the 2.7L engines.
You are right about dropping the tank. Book calls for 3 or 4 hours. I can tell you, in real time it is about 7 hours!
As for keeping in touch, if you have another question you can put carguy1 in the first part of the question and I will pick it up.Thanks