walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I would like to open up and 18 foot section of a load

Customer Question

I would like to open up and 18 foot section of a load bearing wall. I live a ranch and only have the roof above me.
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I would like to use lvl to remove present wall
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 7 days ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
1. 18ft
2. 24 ft from exterior wall to exterior wall 12 ft to the center
3. House does not have factory built trusses.
4. CT
5. Asphalt Shingles
6. Home is a ranch with a full basement. The first floor is the only living space and second story is the roof.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Correction:House does have factory trusses.
Expert:  walkereng replied 6 days ago.

So from my sketch, if you assume the 2nd floor is your 1st floor, and the 1st floor is the basement, is you beam the center one just below the attic/trusses or the center beam in the basement supporting the 1st floor?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My beam is the center one below attic.
Expert:  walkereng replied 6 days ago.

Ok

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I am leaving my office very shortly and can work on your question when I get home this evening if that is OK?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Good Morning, When can I expect a response
Expert:  walkereng replied 5 days ago.

Sorry for the delay, what city are you near in CT? I need to determine your roof snow load.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Vernon, ct
Expert:  walkereng replied 5 days ago.

I can give you a few engineered wood options for your 18’ clear span beam:

5-1/2” x 11-7/8” King Beam 30F-E4 DF/SP

5-1/4” x 14” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP

3-1/2” x 16” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/locations/#!/building-materials-distribution

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, determine foundation requirements, and check your structure’s lateral stability due to the fact that you are removing a large portion of wall.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 3 days ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Expert:  walkereng replied 23 hours ago.