walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Is a 4" reinforced concrete slab enough to hold 2000 pounds,

Is a 4" reinforced concrete slab enough to hold 2000 pounds
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I am building a pizza oven on a suspended concrete slab it weighs about 1500 pounds total the slab is suspended for about 4' each way
JA: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: No

I can help

Would you have any pictures you could share with me?

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't have a picture but there is 6" block walls underneath 3 sides and the pizza oven will be 1" in from the inside of the block

Is your project something like the attached picture with a 4" thick concrete slab spanning between the 3 brick walls?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it is

What kind of steel reinforcement is in the 4" thick concrete slab?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1/2" rebar both ways 1 foot on center

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I would use #4 steel rebar spaced at 9" o.c. both ways. Make sure you place the rebar right in the middle of the 4" thick slab, so you have 1.5" of concrete cover over each side of the rebar.

Rebar is very inexpensive and increase the strength.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you

Let me know if you have any more questions