walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

You helped design a cantilever dock for me a while ago. Now

Customer Question

Sir,You helped design a cantilever dock for me a while ago. Now I have a new problem and do not know if it falls within your expertise or not but here goes.We have a propane fired whole-house back-up 30 KW generator. My original propane company gave me a 250 gallon tank. My new propane supplier said it was too small and gave me a 1,000 gallon tank. The reason he said it was too small is that below 20 degrees F the smaller tank does not have enough surface area to vaporize enough propane to run the generator.I am now sueing the first propane company for the cost of installing the larger tank. I need the calculations to show that the original tank was insufficient.Questions?Thanks, Clark.
Clark A. Beebe.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 15 days ago.

Hi, can I get back with you in about an hour or two, I have to step into a meeting right now.

Expert:  walkereng replied 15 days ago.

I am checking with an associate of my that is well versed in this subject. I will get back with you soon.

Expert:  walkereng replied 15 days ago.

30 kw is definitely a large generator.

http://www.bergquistinc.com/sites/default/files/academy_guides/Handbook.pdf

Page 8 has a really good table. Bergquist is an industry supplier.

I found a 30kw generator that would use 317,625 BTU/hr at 50% load and 490,050 BTU/hr at 100% load. A 250 gallon ASME tank can only provide 216,800 BTU/hr at 20 degrees Fahrenheit.

They correct, the tank would not support that large of a generator.

Do you have the exact model of generator?

Expert:  walkereng replied 14 days ago.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you. I have not ignored you. I was up in PA for a few days. (And there seem to be several e-mails waiting from you. This is the first one I have opened. Forgive me if I ask a question or make a comment that you have already answered subsequent to this e-mail.)I can send you the manual page for the generator. It specifies 148.3 CFH on propane at full load. It is a Cummins Generator.Since I am going into court your response although helpful tome is not acceptable because you will not be there and can not be cross examined. That said, can you give me the name of the book where you got this so I can get a copy and take the book into court?Now I'll look at the other e-mail responses.
Expert:  walkereng replied 10 days ago.

There is a weblink to the Handbook in my previous response, take a look and let me know if you need anything else.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you. ***** see the link and opened it.I need a hard copy for the court. I guess I could take the pdf to Staples and get it printed but I'd rather get a hard copy from them as it will appear more official. OK, I can work on that next week when they are open. I guess my only other question is a quick conversion from CFH to BTU so my two documents match. I found a number on line of 2,500 BTUs per CF of propane. Actually I just found it on page five of the same manual. It gives a number of 2,488.I believe that is all I need. I won't totally say that I have no more questions now but believe that is the case. I will see about getting the manual next week. When I'm done, I will give you an excellent rating.Any suggestions you can offer about going to court? I went last week just to observe and found every case gets assigned to an arbitrator before it goes before the judge. I plan to have a page of calculations all printed out to hand in and be ready to back up the numbers with the reference book and a calculator.Thank you and I'll work on laying out the calculations now.Happy New year and may it be Healthy and Prosperous for us all! Clark.
Clark A. Beebe, Highland Lakes, NJ.
Expert:  walkereng replied 10 days ago.

If you have that document printed out, you should be fine.

Good Luck with your case!