walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I'm looking for help regarding a crack in concrete

Customer Question

Hi, I'm looking for help regarding a crack in concrete foundation poured for new house near raliroad
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: crack in concrete foundation poured for new house near raliroad
JA: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: this is part of a larger unit
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The crack runs the length of the foundation for front of house- from the garage and front of house you can see the crack is the depth of the cement and it extends all the way across. I stuck a piece of nearby scrap in the crack on the floor and it went over an inch deep easily. The structure is located very close to railroad tracks and is a center unit for a line of townhomes. See attached pics.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

I can help

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any more pictures from a bit farther away so I can get a little better lay of the land and location of the RR tracks relative to the slab?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here you are- tracks are right in front of unit
Does these work or do I need to take another?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the pictures.

I cannot imagine the RR tracks had anything to do with this crack. The crack is most likely that the control joints were not spaced correctly during the concrete pour.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm. It blaming the tracks, my concern is how they may affect the crack moving forward and what is recommended for the current state.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

I do not feel the tracks will effect the crack.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

What stage is the construction at currently?

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

Let me know when you come back online

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Framing is almost done
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

As long as there is not vertical elevation differential across the crack, the only thing you need to do is have the crack caulked with a waterproof sealer. It most likely was caused by inadequate control joint spacing during the concrete pour.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would a vertical elevation change happen immediately? There are sidewalk cracks in the neighborhood that have definite elevation changes
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

Settlement usually happens over time. Sidewalk areas may not have been compacted as well as the building slab areas, so settlement in sidewalks is not uncommon.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what you're telling me is that if the crack is sealed with waterproof sealant I won't have to worry about any foundation or flooring issues in years to come?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

Based on the information and pictures you shared with me, it is highly unlikely you will have any issues.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.