walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I'm looking for help regarding a crack in concrete

Customer Question

Hi, I'm looking for help regarding a crack in concrete foundation poured for new house near raliroad
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: crack in concrete foundation poured for new house near raliroad
JA: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: this is part of a larger unit
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The crack runs the length of the foundation for front of house- from the garage and front of house you can see the crack is the depth of the cement and it extends all the way across. I stuck a piece of nearby scrap in the crack on the floor and it went over an inch deep easily. The structure is located very close to railroad tracks and is a center unit for a line of townhomes. See attached pics.
Expert:  walkereng replied 6 months ago.

I can help

Do you have any more pictures from a bit farther away so I can get a little better lay of the land and location of the RR tracks relative to the slab?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here you are- tracks are right in front of unit
Does these work or do I need to take another?

Thanks for the pictures.

I cannot imagine the RR tracks had anything to do with this crack. The crack is most likely that the control joints were not spaced correctly during the concrete pour.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm. It blaming the tracks, my concern is how they may affect the crack moving forward and what is recommended for the current state.

I do not feel the tracks will effect the crack.

What stage is the construction at currently?

Let me know when you come back online

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Framing is almost done

As long as there is not vertical elevation differential across the crack, the only thing you need to do is have the crack caulked with a waterproof sealer. It most likely was caused by inadequate control joint spacing during the concrete pour.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would a vertical elevation change happen immediately? There are sidewalk cracks in the neighborhood that have definite elevation changes

Settlement usually happens over time. Sidewalk areas may not have been compacted as well as the building slab areas, so settlement in sidewalks is not uncommon.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what you're telling me is that if the crack is sealed with waterproof sealant I won't have to worry about any foundation or flooring issues in years to come?

Based on the information and pictures you shared with me, it is highly unlikely you will have any issues.