walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

What size glulam beam should be used in a room with a 30ft

Customer Question

What size glulam beam should be used in a room with a 30ft span by 29ft room? Current structure has one bearing wall with joists overlapping(on bearing wall), two purlins, and 13 props.
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the structural engineer should know?
Customer: Exterior shear wall is being weakened by enlarging an opening from 5' to 9' wide. Exterior wall being altered will now be 12" wall, 8' window, 6" wall, 9' french doors, 6" wall, 8' window, and 11" wall. Previously, 12" wall, 8' window, 6" wall, 5' opening where fireplace was, 6" wall, 8' window, and 11" wall.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 22 days ago.

I can help

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Expert:  walkereng replied 21 days ago.

Let me know when you come back online.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
1) New beam would replace/butt up against ridge board on gable roof.
2) Ceiling(and floor)joists 2" x 8" 16 O.C. span #1 - 17.5' and ceiling joist span #2 - 12'
3) Joist overlap over one interior load bearing wall. Props come off of bearing wall and connect to ridge board and purlins.
4) Desert area in California, no snow ever.
5) Roofing material s steel tile - weight per square: 151 per SQ(100 SQFT[I'm sure you know that])
6)Single story on raised foundation
7) Photos included of floor plan, purlins, props, and current configuration.
8) Exterior walls sheared with stucco only. Wall A 12.5" wall, 95" window, 6" wall, 9' propsed opening, 6" wall, 95" window, 10" wall.
Wall B 71" Inset entry doors, 66.5" wall, 10.5' of windows, 66" wall
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Are you online now?- Jen
Expert:  walkereng replied 17 days ago.

Yes I am

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Can you first give me a response base on the information I gave you before I decide to call? I feel like I've given you everything you need to know in order to answer the question. Im just looking for the height and width of the glulam that will not sag over a 30' span. is it 12", 14", 16", 18", 20"(H) x 3", 4", 5", 6", 7", 8" wide?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Expert:  walkereng replied 17 days ago.

Working on your question right now.

Expert:  walkereng replied 17 days ago.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I can give you a few engineered wood options for your 30’ clear span beam:

5-1/2” x 22” King Beam 30F-E4 DF/SP

7” x 22” Versa-Lam 2.0 3100 DF

7” x 24” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 DF

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area.

https://www.bc.com/locations/

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, determine foundation requirements, and check the lateral stability of your structure due to the fact that you are removing a large portion of wall.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 12 days ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. Approximately what size concrete pads would you recommend to pour under existing foundation where post connections to beam will be? Trying to get a price on all materials needed for the project.
Expert:  walkereng replied 11 days ago.

You would need approx. a 36"x36" by 15" deep concrete footing with rebar for each post foundation.

Expert:  walkereng replied 11 days ago.