walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Open span for band shell 41' want to use. I have a 41 stage

Customer Question

Open span for band shell 41' want to use wood.
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I have a 41 stage built I want to put a roof over it. post and beam independent from stage
JA: Is there anything else important you think the structural engineer should know?
Customer: the ground is clay but has good drainage the frost line is forty inches
I want to span a 41' stage using post & beam what do I need for the span?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 19 days ago.

I can help

Do you have any plans or sketches of your proposed configuration that you can share with me?

There is a button on the Chat Window that lets you attach files.

Expert:  walkereng replied 18 days ago.

Let me know when you come back online.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have not drawn it out yet. If you look at the photos on my facebook page eric ackerly there are pictures of the stage. You can see from them that it is just on timbers. The idea I had in mind is a peaked roof tapering to the back of the stage. The ground is clay but it has fairly good drainage I have not done a proper perk test on it yet. I have just found out that they want to put a solid roof over it. Since it is built just on timbers I will have to go with posts. We don't have a lot of money to do this but I do have timbers 8x8s up to 10x10s for suport posts. It is really the large open span that I need help with. I can get 2x10s or 2x12s from the local saw mills hopefully donated. I'm doing all of this for free as I am on the board of directors for Music on the Mountain and being retired I have the time.
Expert:  walkereng replied 16 days ago.

So you want something similar to "The Billstage!" ?

Expert:  walkereng replied 16 days ago.

I have several questions:

1. So you want a 40' open front with no posts?

2. How deep will this roof cover be (distance from front to back of roof)?

3. What city and state are you near? I assume this is a summer thing and no snow load, correct?

4. What type of roof covering will you have?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I can use knees at 45 degrees I was thinking about four feet in and down. The stage is 40 feet deep but I will have a covered 2x6 stud wall with 2x8 rafters across the back of the stag 10' in depth so only 30' of the stage will need to be covered over. No there is snow loads here I am in Fort Saint Jame, British Columbia Canada. I was hoping to build put shingles over 5/8" T&G fir plywood. We could use steel but it can be awful loud when it rains and we don't stop for rain. This will be used for winter shows as well that is kind why I need a solid roof.
Expert:  walkereng replied 15 days ago.

OK, so the roof will span 40' side to side and and span 30' front to back, correct?

You are not going to be able to get conventional lumber longer than about 24'. How are you going to be able to span 40' across the front and span 30' front to back?

You are not going to be able to build up conventional lumber members, with splices, and span 30' to 40' distances.

Can you reduce your cover to 24' deep and then add a couple of posts 8' in from each end of the 40' dimension. This way I can work with 24' long lumber.

Let me know your thoughts.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I can put any number of supports down the sides. I was thinking of x style trusses to a centered ridge with 2x10 cross bracing at a midway point.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Where they joined (trusses) gussets on both sides to join them.
Expert:  walkereng replied 15 days ago.

Can you draw a rough plan view sketch of what you are thinking with some dimensions and attach it to the Chat Window. If you can not scan a sketch, you can always take a close-up picture of the sketch with your phone and attach the picture.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'll try to get something done up in the next day or so and I'll send them off asp. Thank you for your time you have been most helpful. I am not married to any particular one idea. I can get timbers cut to any length as we have lots of band mills in this area as we are a logging/mill town.
Expert:  walkereng replied 14 days ago.

Super, no hurry.

Talk to you soon.