walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

There! I have a residential structural engineering question.

Customer Question

Hi, there! I have a residential structural engineering question.
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I have 3 ceiling trusses in my basement that need repair. One of them had some minor work done by a P.E. but now, 3 months later, that ceiling truss is bowed and part of the support is splintered.
JA: Is there anything else the structural engineer should be aware of?
Customer: Yes, the ceiling truss next to the worst ceiling truss is also bowed. The third ceiling truss is cracked in two places; however, the P.E. who looked at the problem said that the one he did the minor repair to was the worst. I'm not sure what to do and how to get all of this repaired.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 19 days ago.

Hello. I can help.

Have you called a contractor?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No, I haven't involved a contractor yet. I was promised by one of the top P.E.s in the Philadelphia area that he would do the work for me as a favor. He did part of the work on the worst of the 3 ceiling trusses; however, because he didn't follow through, the worst ceiling truss is bowed even further and where he tried to sister the truss, that piece of wood is splintered and I found some of the splinters several feet away indicating that there is a lot of force being exerted on that one truss. I am concerned if I involve a contractor, they will only tell me that I need a structural engineer. I can't seem to find a structural engineer willing to help on a small residential project like this. I'm very frustrated and disappointed that my structural engineer friend didn't follow through with his word and has left me to deal with quite a mess!!

Do you have the ability to put dimension lumber sisters in place of the affected trusses and leave them abandoned in place?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I don't understand what you are saying. You are using industry terms.

basically use 2x joists and ignore the contribution of the trusses.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Where do the two joists go? How do you know this is the solution if you haven't seen any pictures?

I'm asking if you can do that.