StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Have a rang style house built in 1957. Extension was added

Customer Question

Have a rang style house built in 1957. Extension was added on in the 70'. The end truss lower double 2x4 chord were cut on both sides to connect a 4x4 using metal hangers. The 4x4 that rest on the bricks of a fireplace. I want to get rid of the fireplace because it is in the center of the living area. That was a ranch house
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the structural engineer should know?
Customer: there is also a 4x4 center of the 4x4 that is connected to the left and righ 2x4s that supports the peak of the roof that was part of the original structure. The new structure uses larger board . I think they are 2x6
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 6 months ago.
Hello
I can help
What exactly do you need? The entire area may need to be reframed if the fireplace is supporting the framing