StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I NEED TO SPAN 24' TO SUPPORT AN UPPER FLOOR. THE BACK OF

Customer Question

I NEED TO SPAN 24' TO SUPPORT AN UPPER FLOOR. THE BACK OF THIS HOME IS 24' WIDE, TWO STORIES HIGH. THE BOTTOM FLOOR HAS A 9' CEILING, THE SECOND FLOOR AN 8' CEILING. I WANT SUPPORT THE SECOND FLOOR, BUT MAINTAIN AN 8' CLEARANCE TO THE BOTTOM FLOOR. WE ARE TRYING TO EXPAND THE LIVING AREA OUT AN ADDITIONAL 11'. WOULD LIKE TO USE A STEEL I-BEAM, BUT DON'T KNOW WHAT SIZE WOULD BE ADEQUATE FOR THE 24' SPAN. WE DON'T WANT TO USE ANY SUPPORT POSTS.
JA: OK. Is there anything else the structural engineer should be aware of?
Customer: THIS HOME IS ABOUT 15 YEARS OLD BUILT IN RURAL MISSOURI. THERE ARE NO BUILDING CODES IN THIS AREA, BUT WE WANT TO DO THIS EXPANSION RIGHT.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 month ago.
Hello
I can help
Will this support the second floor, attic, and roof?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It will support the second floor, attic and roof. I do not want to install any support posts under this beam. It will be supporting the additional second floor addition, which will be finished using a glass sun-roof mounted on the addition's lower perimeter walls (2 end walls, new exterior wall on back of addition, and the original exterior wall supporting roof).

What is the joist length on each side of this beam?

Will it support any ceramic tile?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Answering the following questions..........
What is the joist length on each side of this beam? The present home measures 24' x24'. It has two main walls. One runs north/south , the other east/west. These interior walls split the 24' dimentions evenly. To answer the question means that the original 24' joist was split by an interior wall which would make the dimention of the of that part of the joist in play on the original ceiling 12' in length, and the new additional joist dimention also 12'. My assumption is that the total of the two dimentions (24') would be the basis for the load to be carried by the new beam. This beam can be either steel or lumber, but I still do not wish to lose much head room. I hope this helps.
Lowell
Will it support any ceramic tile?