walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I'm trying to find out what size LVL beam I will need to

Customer Question

I'm trying to find out what size LVL beam I will need to span 20 feet in my living room. The only load will be the 2x6 ceiling joists that will tie in from each side and there will not be any load in the attic above.
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the structural engineer should know?
Customer: I don't think so. Not sure what other imformation they will need.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 6 months ago.

I can help

Let me look at your question abit closer

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The Beam will be in Location 3 on the Drawing. This is a 1 story house with no basement, located in Belle Chasse, Louisiana.
The ceiling joists span 13'4" off either side of the beam.

I will take a look an get back with you within about 30 minutes if that is OK?

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Running some numbers right now.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I understand. This is just for planning out construction and construction costs.

I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 20’ clear span beam:

3-1/2” x 14” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP

5-1/4” x 11-7/8” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area.

https://www.bc.com/locations/

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, determine foundation requirements, and check your structure’s lateral stability due to the fact that you are removing a large portion of wall.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks