walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I am wanting tobuild, I can not type. I would like to build

Customer Question

I am wanting tobuild
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I can not type. I would like to build a triangular wall ( point down ) that needs to support roof load preferably of wood for a 1200 sq. foot house.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: There would be a perpendicular supporting wall at the center ( point ).
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

I can help

Do you have any sketches you can share with me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is a pix. of a model. The roof proper (also a delta) is 80 ft. trailing edge 40 ft. deep. Wall in question is to the right and the half wall under roof extension on left. It seems to me that right wall should support that roof. Left roofs would have a post support.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I forgot to mention the point load of these wall sections would be on the adjoining vertical walls.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think we can meet the building code max. of 25 ft. max.(mean) with this.this would give some rear overhang.I think I would start with a perimeter of 3 2x8s glued and screwed in a U channel. Studs would be two rows of 2x4s offset inside and out for better insulation.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Forgot to mention this to be built on a 1 in 5 slope of decomposed granite in Manitou Springs< Colorado.
Yes every stud is a different length. My home is the same as it to is Out of The Box. I also built it stick by stick. As a toolmaker
1/64 is a long way.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the information.

I see triangular roof sections in your model, but I do not see any triangular walls that are supported on their point.

Can you explain in a bit more detail and refer to your model view?

I want to make sure I fully understand your proposed configuration.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The triangular roof section to your right is a vertical wall with steal roofing cover. At the point, there is a vertical house wall sitting on foundation that is going back at approximately 135 degrees.That section and the half section on the left could be suspended to the adjoining walls or sit on a foundation extension.
The roof coming forward on the left (the same size) would be supported by triangular rafters coming from the half wall and its adjoining wall and a post.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The studs in the right wallroof could be vertical or run with the top roof line witch ever works best as I think we could use sheathing for strength purposes.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As I can't sleep the thought hit me.
It will be on a foundation because we need a foundation for the glass walls that meet at the contact point of the triangular walls.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Seems to be trouble identifying the half wall. It is marked with an X.
504Ojo is rough idea of floorplan and how Triangular walls meet the sidewalls.
Expert:  walkereng replied 22 days ago.

Sorry for the delay. I am having a bit of trouble visualizing your roof configurations, so I have a couple of questions:

1. Is the open area in your model going to be an open glass area, or is it just a cut out to see the inside of the model?

2. Is there a way you can draw a rough roof plan view with your proposed framing shown with any support walls under the roof? This would be very helpful.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
the open is all glass.
There could be a post to support the point of the roof but we would prefer not using one.