walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I need to know the average cost per square foot for

Customer Question

I need to know the average cost per square foot for converting the Roof of a commercial building from dead load to liveload?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 4 months ago.

I can help

Can you explain your question in a bit more detail?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What more detail do u want?
Expert:  walkereng replied 3 months ago.

1. So you want to make the roof an occupiyable level?

2. What type of occupancy will be on the roof?

3.What city and state are you located in?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my plan is to convert a commercial roof into an out door gymnasium, it will need to accomadate about 60 persons at a time. in order to calculate my cost i need to know how much it would be to restructure a roof to accomodate this live load or look for a building with an existing liveload?

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Making some assumptions, I would say you are looking at a cost of about $75 to $90 per square foot to convert a rooftop are to an open air gym area. Some uf my assumptions are:

1. Beefing up existing roof system to take the increased Live Load and Dead Load

2. Beefing up support columns, walls and footings below to carry these loads.

3. Providing perimeter walls/fencing to enclose the roof area.

4. Running electrical and plumbing/drainage as needed to specific areas

5. All new floor for gym floor surface.

6. Etc.

Hope this helps.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks