walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a clear span of 17'-10" where two patio doors used to

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: I have a clear span of 17'-10" where two patio doors used to be. There is a light wood truss roof frame system above. this is a residential application in New jersey. Would a 3 1/2" x 9 1/2" microllam LVL beam be adequate for this span?
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The beam would be supported at either end with 4" x 4" posts full bearing
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: the truss roof above extends over this beam onto another wall about 6' feet away so the new LVL does not necessarily bear the full load of the roof over.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello??
Expert:  walkereng replied 5 months ago.

I can help

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Let me know when you come back online

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm online but had trouble with your link. My house is a single story wood frame (rectangle shaped floor plan)with a truss system roof extending the length of the house- each truss is 16" on center.
There is a porch at one end with two sliding glass doors that are removed to include this into the interior room. The beam is carrying this truss system supported with the outside porch wall 8' parallel on one side of the beam and 12' to another interior wall running parallel on the opposite side. The beam will have a clear span of 17'-4" supported by 4x4 posts either end on a concrete slab footing. The roof pitch is low.

Sorry about the trouble with the link. Let me attach a copy of the same file and you should be able to open it and answer the questions.

Expert:  walkereng replied 4 months ago.

Let me know if you still need help. If you do, can you look at the file attached and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Thanks