walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a 2 story modular home that I am interested in

Customer Question

I have a 2 story modular home that I am interested in opening up the marriage wall on the first floor between 2 existing rooms. I have the original construction plans of the home and I am trying to figure out if this wall can be removed and if so how much and what size beam if any I would need?
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: We are interested in removing about 15 to 16 feet of the wall.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 4 months ago.

I can help

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Do you have electronic copies of the plans you could share with me?

Expert:  walkereng replied 3 months ago.

Let me know when you come back online

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will scan my structural drawings and post them here? That should give you all the information you need I believe?
In response to your questions:
1. Beam #2
2. Joists are 14 foot span
3.Factory Built trusses
4.Asphalt Shingles
5.2 story home with basement
Thank you
Scott

Sorry for the delay.

What city and state are you located in?

You said you could share your plans with me?

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Home is located in Lynn Masachusetts. I will attach the original house plans that I have. The house is a modular and was built with 4 boxes... I am looking to remove the entire wall separating the Living Room and the Family Room on the first floor plans. This span will total about 21 feet. Thank you

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 21’ clear span beam:

5-1/2” x 18” King Beam 30F-E4 DF/SP

7” x 18” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 DF

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area.

https://www.bc.com/locations/

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, determine foundation requirements, and check your structure’s lateral stability due to the fact that you are removing a large portion of wall.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks