walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I want to replace a 10 foot 5"x 10-7/8" wooden laminated

Customer Question

I want to replace a 10 foot long 5"x 10-7/8" wooden laminated beam that is constructed of (8) 2X 6 boards , glued together and existing in a home constructed in the 1970's and extend the span to 13' ?
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: I would like to stay with wood, rather than steel
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

I can help

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

Do you also have any pictures you can share with me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Joist 3 and 4 are 2x12 12 foot
Beam number 2
Asphalt shingles
Occoquan Virginia
Roof trusts bear on outside walls and large beams that are 1/2 way down the trust.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is a picture of the existing beam
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the pictures.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 13’ span beam:

5-1/4” x 11-1/4” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 DF

7” x 9-1/4” Versa-Lam 2.0 3100 DF

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area.

https://www.bc.com/locations/

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.