StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I need help with the design of a simply supported rf

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, I need help with the design of a simply supported rf concrete beam. I want to achieve a span of 32' ft with non-prestressed concrete. I am planning on using 5,000 psi concrete. I read in the ACI 318R that I need to use a span to depth ratio of 16:1(However I believe there are exceptions to this rule). I have no idea of what depth, width and rebar should I really use. I am designing this beams as a pre-fabricated piece wish I want to use instead of trusses on a second floor. This would be supported by the perimeter wall which is poured concrete.
JA: OK. Got it. You've come to the right place. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: I need this pieces to be able to support the average live and death load that a second floor would normally need to support + a 2" concrete floor cover. The pieces would be set parallel to each other with a separation of 4 feet.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 6 months ago.
Hello
I'll be happy to assist you.Are you an engineer?
What will be spanning the 4' between these beams?