walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I want to put a pocket door in a brick wall that has a

Customer Question

I want to put a pocket door in a brick wall that has a second floor above it and a crawl space which is brick. I have an opening of 88"×74". What type and what size beam would I need?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correction....The crawl space is below.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

I can help

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The house is a 3 story + basement brick (twin) home built in 1924. Location 1 (which is a brick wall) and back of house 3 stories.The joists run approx 16" of. Not sure about roof trusses. I live in Philadelphia, PA and the main roof is standing seam metal roofing. Other roofs are flat asphalt rolled granulated rubber.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

1. So your pocket door is located in the basement and the beam/header will be similar to New Beam #1 in my sketch?

2. What are floor Joist #1 and #2 spans (distance between supports)?

3. Could I get your address so I could look at a Google Streetview of your home to get a general idea of your building configuration?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No.... the beam to be installed is one first floor in the back. So technically, I have a four story home. ***** Philadelphia, PA 19124. The yellow house with brown door and glass screen door.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

Is your house right on the corner with a small one car garage on the right side?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. Its three houses to the right. Brick, yellow siding and brown door with gold truck parked in front. By lamp post with the flags.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

Would you be able to take a couple of picture for me and share them on the Chat Window?

I want to make sure I fully understand your configuration.

Maybe one from outside in the area of the project and one inside of the wall in question. It would be great if you could be standing back a bit when you take the picture so I can see the surrounding area.

Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

Let me know when you come back online.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry. Tried to get the best pics that I could. There isn't enongh room on the side of my house to give a full shot of anything. I can tell you that it's brick. Undertake the plaster (green part of wall) is brick.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

Sorry for the long delay. Your question must have slipped through the cracks and I just realized I never responded to you. Do you still need me to work on an answer for you?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Of course I would like an answer. I would hope that I am pretty close to getting one. I have given you the size of the material already in place. I have described my house, given you my address so you can look at it on google earth and sent pics.What else is needed?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

I will be able to work on it this afternoon and get you something by this evening.