StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer

House built in 1899. Stone wall foundation 30 inches. Sill

Customer Question

House built in 1899. Stone wall foundation 30 inches. Sill is damaged. Double row structural brick exterior sits on one side log floor joists on other side. Removed 5.5 inch thick notched logs...Oak. 17 foot span. 2 story house. Replacing logs with 2x12. To maintain floor height mason suggested lowering the stone wall stone by stone 5.75 inches plus 7 inches beyond that.....replacing with 5k psi concrete rebar....using all thread conventional surface to attach 2x6 pressure treated sill plate. Said it would be stronger that the stacked stone. Building to 40psf live load l over 360. Bearing surface on stone wall will be 6 inches minimum. Is it safe to do this? I was thinking of using 2x12 beam supported by mall column both sides up against the foundation notch 2x12 to 5.5 at the end to go over sill once sill restored to original height. Then under where it's notched it would be supported by the 2x12 beam. The notch exceeds the no more than 25% rule but I think it's OK cause it would have 3 inches bearing on the 2x12 beam. So the 2x4 framing would carry the load through the stone wall and then floor would mostly be bearing in the 2x12 beams run across the 26 foot basement up against the stone foundation. So 3 inches on the beam is full 11.25 then notched area is 5.5 or even 6 or 6.5 inches on sill plate with up to 6 inches....bearing surface....#2 btr doug fir northern 2x12. 12 oc spacing. Blocking...
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 23 days ago.
I can help
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Sorry. I never got your response. Did you Answer my question about going down 12 inches on stacked stone wall then building it back up with concrete to accomadate 2x12s or notching 2x12 in half at end but then using a beam to support directly under notched area?
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 20 days ago.

Can you please post a sketch of exactly what you're trying to describe. It isn't completely clear.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I will take pics so u can see what I am referring too... stacked stone foundation...
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Will have to be tommorrow. I can also sketch and take pic of it and send to you. This is only pic of foundation I have in phone. You can see the sill in the back is stacked stone and is broken up in some spots...has to be redone either way before putting a 2x6 sill plate on it then the 2x12 floor joists.. It had trees for floor joists. Notched to 5.5 inch thick at the end....they were super 6 inch deflection in center under dead load alone....We cut those logs out. Removed Gutted whole house. Brick double wall skeleton all that's left with roof and atic still on top. 1540 square feet. Load bearing brick structure. Refraining inside with 2x4 set 1 inch off walls to create thermal break. Will be attached to brick exterior structure . Doing it all with my 13 year old son and the mason u see in the pic or rebuilding that wall that used to have a window with collapsed lentil.