walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I'm getting a house blue prints to estimate cost for a 1700

Customer Question

I'm getting a house blue prints to estimate cost for a 1700 sqft house living space with 480 sqft 2 car attached garage. I'm trying to decide which foundation is more cost efficient (pier and beam, slab or concrete footing around the outside walls with crawl space) no basement is needed. I've searching online for websites that can help me decide on that but no luck. there are contradictions on some websites. Any ideas or suggestions are highly appreciated.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 8 months ago.

Do you have any plans you can share with me?

What part of the country are you located in?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your reply.

Here is a link of the folder with PDF files. Justanswer won't allow me to upload PDF files.

I'm located in Texas close to Austin TX.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bz6ahn9M-o8fMGlkSUJKWllYYlE?usp=sharing

Thank you

The most cost effective footing alternative would be a slab on grade for the entire house. This would require deepened concrete slab portions around the perimeter for your building to support your exterior/bearing walls. This would eliminate all of the timber floor framing and sub-flooring.

There are good details for this type of footing on Sheet A-5, the 5 small details on the right side of the sheet.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 7 months ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Sorry for my delay. I did not see any respond after I sent you the link for the plans until few days after. I was really specking a little more information or links related to the subject

I have been quoted about $13 per sqft for the slab foundation vs $150 per concrete column which I believe they go every 7 ft over center (I'm including a picture of one of them). That is a very big difference on cost. Since the plans don't show pier and beam foundation I was wondering what else to consider around the house skirting to be included on the plans before I submit them to the city. Specially anything related to the part where the wood/siding is in contact with the skirting to avoid water in. Thank you