StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Various calculations. Various calculations. Various

Customer Question

Various calculations.
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Various calculations.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: Various calculations.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 months ago.
Hello
It appears you need "various calculations" :-)
Can you elaborate?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
First time using Just Answer, and the process hasn't been, let's say, intuitive.
Thank you for your quick reply!
I have several questions that all relate to the same property, but at the same time can't be considered "one question". I did spend a bunch of time making drawings though, to make things easier. Is there a way I can contact you directly?
You can post the sketches here with the paper clip icon. I will take a look and we can go from there
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I see the 'Add Files' icon, but these files can't be available to the public on JustAnswer. I see there's a live phone call option, I don't mind doing that if possible. These files have to go directly to you and not on JustAnswer.
Understood
Email to***@******.***
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Appreciate it. Give me a moment.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That took longer than it should, but file is sent.
It hasn't come yet. I'll let you know as soon as it does.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cool.
I see a question about reinforcing a basement beam to eliminate a post. About adding a post close to a beam pocket. A question about a basement header. A new header for a sliding door. A few attic joist questions. Does that cover everything?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yep. Primary are the basement post & attic, and then the header for the two doorways.
Ok. I will submit an offer to cover them all and the phone call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Understood.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll have to think about that unfortunately. Not trying to waste anybody's time, but I've never used JA before and they couldn't give me any idea on costs. Could I ask the basement post and attic as separate questions (and forget the two doorway header questions)? I guess the main question is, does the $36 initial tier rate cover most of the questions you get from JA? Just so I get a sense for this present case and for future…
It does cover most question. Some, that are more involved would end up being a little more.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Good to know. I do appreciate your review and offer. Should I assume the basement post and attic would be more involved even as separate questions? Or is it the phone call that adds the most cost?
Could you leave this with me for a day or so?
Of course! Take your time. I included the call for nothing because of the overall cost.
The basement beam is more involved. Bolting requirements and the composite nature makes it more involved. The attic question is onl more involved because offstage multiple scenarios and iterations. If you just have a span and load for the joists, that is straightforward
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Got it. At least I know now the costs involved. Appreciate your expertise!
Any time.