StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer

I'm looking at a new home and the floor slab is designed

Customer Question

I'm looking at a new home and the floor slab is designed with 2500 PSI concrete and wire mesh reinforcement. I have founf a standard for 2500 PSI concrete slab with rebar reinforcement but no where can I find that wire mesh is allowed. In my experience wire mesh is not a satisfactory reinforcement as workers tend to step on the mesh when pouring th concrete and the mesh ends up under the slab instead of in the concrete. Am I wrong?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 month ago.

You are correct in that is what often happens and the mesh is almost never where it is supposed to be, but mesh (WWR) is used very commonly in slabs on grade. It is really the most common form of reinforcement for a slab on grade.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You did not explain why a 2500 PSI is preferable or equal to a 3000 PSI standard construction strength concrete.

Sorry, I didn't see that as a question, just a piece of information.

I wouldn't say 2500 psi concrete is preferable to 3000 psi concrete, but with typical slab on grade loading and support assumptions in a residential setting, you shouldn't have a problem with 2500 psi concrete as long as the mesh is in the correct location and it was properly cured (that statement is also true for 3000 psi concrete, however)