walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a proposed bathroom addition. Span is 12'. Planning a

Customer Question

I have a proposed bathroom addition. Span is 12'. Planning a walk in shower with a tub next to it. live & dead load will be 2,000 # on the 4' x 12' area of the bath. Will double 2x10 ( #2SF) , 16" O.C do it?
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: solid bridging mid span on the 12'.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 months ago.

I can help

Let me read your question a bit closer

Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Double 2x10's spaced at 16" o.c. is more than enough to span 12' in your configuration.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I plan on the 2x10 plate to be thru bolted to the existing house box and use double joist hangers. Should I consider 3"x3" angle under these double joists? Bearing on the other end of the joist is on a 2x6 knee wall , 16" o.c. So you understand , it's an addition to the back side of a raised ranch.

I would go for the 3"x3" angle support along the wall, with the angle lag bolted into each stud.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Let me know when you come back online and if you have any more questions.