StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I want to add a pulley system to the roof of my garage that

Customer Question

I want to add a pulley system to the roof of my garage that will support a pick-up truck canopy. Total weight of canopy and pulley system will be 300lbs. Pulley system will be attached to roof at four points (~75lbs per corner) spaced 6' front to back and 7' side to side. Current attic structure is 2x4 joists spaced 24' oc spanning 26' (2 2x4 per span). Rafters are 2x4s and there is a V pattern brace for each half of the roof from floor joists to rafters made up of 2x4s and 2x3s. One end is supported by a load bearing wall, the other end by a load bearing beam (3 2x10s sistered). If I reinforce five spans (8' total) of 2x4 floor joists with 2x8s or 2x10s, will I have enough support to attach my pulley system and canopy?
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: no
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 5 months ago.
Hello
I can help
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have pictures of the attic structure as well if that will help
Do you have any sketches of the whole setup?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
picture 1
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
picture 2
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
picture 3
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no sketches of the pulley system that I can upload. What I need to know is what is a relatively easy and cost efficient way of getting my garage roof/attic ceiling strong enough to support this load.
Ok. Let me check this out and get back you you asap
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is the status of the answer to my question?

I would not load the trusses. I would install new joists between the trusses to support the pulleys you want to install.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do you think that reinforcing the current 2x4 floor joists by sistering 2x10s would suffice? I would rather not replace.

I would not reinforce the trusses. I would add new joists in between the trusses and only attach to those.